A catastrophic injury is usually very severe and may be associated with disfigurement, loss of limbs or severe brain damage. Many times, catastrophic injuries require multiple reconstructive surgical procedures, long term stay in the hospital, prolonged rehabilitation and long term disability. The chance of returning to work following a catastrophic injury is slim. If your family is suffering from a catastrophic injury contact a catastrophic injury lawyer at HWNN to seek maximum compensation.
Catastrophic injuries can also have a profound effect on the family. Because the injured person may require constant care for daily living activities, it can place enormous stress on the family and personal relationships. Things can get much worse if the victim is the primary breadwinner of the home since it can lead to significant financial distress.
What are the types of catastrophic injuries that can occur?
Catastrophic injuries can occur following a road accident, a slip or fall accident, surgical or medical mishap, medication errors, dog bites, sporting injuries, and work-related injuries. The different types of catastrophic injuries that can occur include the following:
- Traumatic brain injury if severe can lead to not only paralysis but the inability to speak, swallow, walk, eat or even breathe.
- Spinal cord injuries may include an inability to use the arms or legs, the inability to control bladder or bowel movements or be unable to have any type of sensation.
- Limb amputation can also occur from a variety of accidents. One may lose one or all limbs, and this may lead to permanent confinement to a wheelchair or a bed.
- Third-degree burns are always serious and often require multiple reconstructive surgeries. The burn can also result in loss of joint function and permanent changes in aesthetics.
- Damage to the liver, kidney, heart, lungs, or bowel can all lead to severe injuries that often taken a very long time to recover.
- With a chemical burn or a blast injury, one can permanently lose vision or loss of hearing.
- Most catastrophic injuries are associated with scarring and permanent disfigurement.
Cost of Catastrophic Injuries
When you suffer a catastrophic injury through the action of another person or at work, you are entitled to take legal action against them. You can claim most damages that you incur as a result of the injury, including any pain and suffering. However, compensation for a catastrophic injury is much higher compared to other types of injuries. You may be compensated for the following:
- Loss of wages (both past and future)
- Cost of medical care and all follow up appointments
- Cost of rehabilitation and need for any prosthetic or ambulatory devices
- Need for a personal care attendant or home care nurse
- Cost of all prescription drugs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
In the State of Alabama, there is no limit on compensation when it comes to catastrophic injuries. If you have suffered a catastrophic injury through no fault of your own, you should get in touch with a catastrophic injury lawyer. Because there is a statute of limitations on filing claims, this consult must be made quickly. The key is to never settle with an insurance company because what they offer will always be far less than what you can get by having a catastrophic injury lawyer fight for your rights. Call our personal injury lawyers at Hare, Wynn, Newell & Newton LLP. Our team is well-trained in these legal matters and can prepare a strong case on your behalf so that you can get the compensation you deserve. Keep in mind that it takes time and effort to prepare a strong argument so the sooner you get in touch with our lawyers, the better it will be for you.
Provide as much information as you can to our catastrophic injury lawyer so that they can evaluate the specific details and proceed accordingly. Our personal injury attorneys will gather all relevant evidence and prepare a complete list of damages that you can claim. Catastrophic injuries can be extremely difficult to handle, not just for the victims, but also for their families. We are here to help you deal with the consequences of such an injury, and we understand that you might be struggling financially, physically and emotionally to deal with this situation. Let our personal injury lawyers help you get the justice you deserve.
Get My FREE Case Review