Summertime Safety Tips
There are several steps you can take to avoid the most common summertime accidents and injuries. Our firm wants you to be informed of practical ways you can increase your safety this summer.
We offer safety tips for the following:
- Water safety. Drowning is the leading cause of death in children under 4 years old, and it is the second leading cause of death in people between the ages of 5 and 24. Whether you are going to the pool with friends or swimming in a lake, it is important to exercise caution. You should never swim alone, always swim where a lifeguard is posted, and avoid diving unless in a designated area. Furthermore, always stay within arm’s reach of children under 4 years old, and supervise your kids at all times.
- Firework safety. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that fireworks during Fourth of July cause about 40% of all fires each year. In order to increase your safety this summer, it is important to never let young children handle fireworks, and to supervise older children and teens. Furthermore, you should light fireworks only in an isolated area with no structures nearby, and never try to re-light malfunctioning fireworks.
- Skateboarding. In order to stay safe while skateboarding, it is important to never ride in the street or in a crowded area of non-skaters. You also need to wear non-slip shoes, a helmet, and padding. Practicing good falling habits, such as crouching down, rolling to absorb the impact, and relaxing your body when you are about to fall, can also increase your safety.
- Bug safety. Mosquitos can carry several diseases. Using insect repellant, wearing long sleeves and pants, and emptying out birdbaths and planters regularly to eliminate places where mosquitos can lay eggs is important. You should also avoid leaving doors or windows propped open, and run the air conditioner to keep the inside of your house cool and dry.
- Heat injuries. If your body becomes too hot, you may suffer a variety of heat illnesses, such as heat exhaustion, heat cramps, and heatstroke. It is important to drink more water than you think you’ll need, and to replenish the electrolytes in your body by drinking fruit juice or sports drinks. You should also wear a hat, put on sunscreen, and stay in the shade as much as possible.
- Bicycling. Bicycling is a great way to stay in shape during summer, but it is important to wear a certified helmet, and to have a bicycle that is adjusted to your size. Furthermore, you should always obey traffic laws and use designated bike lanes when possible. Wearing reflective clothing and making eye contact with nearby drivers can also help increase your visibility.
- Boating safety. Boating accidents are often caused by operator inexperience or inattention, boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and bad weather conditions. It is important to wear a life jacket at all times, and to take a boating safety course. Furthermore, avoid drinking alcohol while operating a boat, and have an emergency kit prepared.
- Playground safety. When taking your kid to the park this summer, be sure to check for hazards around the playground area. There should be no tripping hazards, such as tree stumps or rocks, and there should be no sharp edges on playground equipment. Supervising your children at all times can help everyone stay safe.
- Pedestrian safety. It is important to put your phone away and to scan your surroundings while walking on the sidewalk or crossing an intersection. Furthermore, you need to make eye contact with nearby drivers to ensure they see you, and to cross the street only in designated locations. By paying attention and avoiding distracted walking, you can increase your safety as a pedestrian.
To learn more about summer safety tips, click here for NSC resources.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN WRONGFULLY INJURED, OUR PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS ARE HERE TO HELP.
Hare Wynn provides diligent representation to clients who have been injured by someone else’s negligence. Whatever your situation, we will use thorough preparation to build your case. Our personal injury lawyers are experienced, and will guide you through this difficult time as you seek justice from those responsible.