Car accidents in Alabama can be caused for many different reasons. Generally speaking, almost all car crashes are caused by something called negligence. Negligence is when someone doesn’t behave the way they should and it causes others to be injured. It’s a another way of saying that someone made a mistake. And, accidents are just that – mistakes. Rarely does someone get behind the wheel and decide that it’s a good day to get into a crash. This is why we call them accidents.
Some things, however, are more likely to cause a car accident than others. For example, if someone is drinking and driving, they’re clearly at risk of getting into a car wreck. The same is true if someone is speeding or driving recklessly. If someone isn’t taking the well-being of other people into account, they’re putting everyone’s lives at risk.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, a car crash lawyer in Birmingham, Alabama can help you prove negligence.
How Can Your Birmingham Car Accident Lawyer Prove Negligence?
In order to recover damages, your attorney has to prove your case. The way they do this is by proving negligence. They must demonstrate four (4) things:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care – When someone drives, they agree to follow all traffic signals. They’re also required to look out for other motorists.
- They breached this duty – If you can show that someone broke the law, it will help prove they were at fault. You can also show that the other driver behaved in a way that a reasonable person wouldn’t behave.
- You were injured – This is why it’s crucial to seek medial treatment, even if you are not sure if you are hurt initially. Many times, pain and injuries may not present for a period after the accident; therefore, it is important to be evaluated by a medical provider after your accident. Your attorney will also need to prove that you were hurt and the best way to do this is with medical records.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty – Your attorney will present how your injuries were caused due to the other parties’ negligence. Just keep in mind, while your Birmingham accident lawyer is working to prove your case, the defendant’s lawyer has a different agenda. Their goal is to show that either you were at fault or that you weren’t really injured.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Alabama
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Alabama are also the ones that can be most easily prevented. They include the following:
- Drinking and Driving – There is never an excuse for this type of behavior. With taxis, Uber, Lyft and other ride sharing platforms, people can’t claim that they didn’t have a designated driver. If you plan on having even one drink, call and find another way home.
- Speeding – If someone’s going above the speed limit when they hit you, the impact may be quite severe. There’s a reason speed limits are designated, and failure to comply may result in a tragic accident.
- Distracted Driving –More than any other kind of crash, the most common cause is distracted driving. The more we busy ourselves with handheld devices, the greater the risk of getting distracted. Some of the ways people get distracted while driving include:
- Texting or talking on a cell phone
- Talking to other passengers
- Paying attention to other cars on the road
Any of these can cause quite serious injuries. Victims who are injured in car accidents in Alabama due to someone else’s negligence will be entitled to damages.
Call and Talk to an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Birmingham, Alabama Today
If you or your loved one have been injured in a car crash, you’re going to need to call our office. You should talk to an experienced car accident lawyer in Birmingham sooner rather than later. Let your lawyer handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting better.
To schedule your free initial consultation with Hare, Wynn, Newell & Newton, call today.
Get My FREE Case Review