In-Depth Safety Checklist
When it comes to safety, you can never be too cautious in protecting yourself and the ones you love. There are so many dangers in the world in nearly every facet whether you are driving on the road, walking along a sidewalk in the rain or snow, choosing a car seat for your child, riding a bike, or even decorating for the holidays. Even workers in various industries are at risk of serious injuries because of the nature of the job.
With so many potential dangers around us, how do we stay safe? While it’s often times impossible to dictate how others will act and account for their negligence, there are numerous steps we can take in our everyday lives in order to keep ourselves as safe as possible. Below are some in-depth safety checklists you can utilize to protect yourself and your loved ones.
AVOIDING TRAFFIC COLLISIONS
Because you can’t control the actions of other drivers, the only way to reduce the risk of a traffic collision is to act cautiously and properly prepare yourself on the road. As such, there are a few things you can do for your vehicle, as well as some defensive driving techniques that you can practice in order to help lower the chance of a crash.
First, we’ll detail some of the precautions you can take with your vehicle to ensure it’s the safest it can be:
- Maintenance: Always perform routine maintenance on your vehicle. This means the basics of checking your oil, ensuring windshield wipers are properly cleaning your window, and ensuring everything is working correctly.
- Change your brakes when needed: As your brakes start to wear down, they’ll present a loud, squealing noise when you are coming to a stop. The longer you allow this to occur, the more damage it can do to the rotors, making it more difficult to stop when you need to.
- Check tire tread: The tire tread is what allows the vehicle to have traction on the road. As the tread wears, it can result in the tires slipping when taking off or taking tight turns. When weather gets bad and rain or snow hit the floor, low tire tread can cause serious accidents when a driver loses control.
- Create a safety kit: In your car, you should ensure you have a kit with tire chains — in case of snow — water, blankets, flashlights, and emergency numbers. If something happens and you are in a traffic collision, this kit can help you while you’re temporarily stuck.
These are all great ways to remain prepared, but what do you do when your own precautions are not enough? How do you react when another driver is reckless? In order to lower the risk of a collision with a reckless driver, consider these tips:
- Always stay a good distance from the vehicle in front of you
- Make sure you are paying close attention to the road and the actions of others
- Stay off your phone while driving as it can distract you from cars stopping
- Give yourself enough room in front of your car just in case you are struck from the rear
These safety tips can help protect you from car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. If you’re a pedestrian, you should also ensure you are following laws by crossing the street at proper areas and avoid using headphones so you can focus on potential vehicles that may be coming your way. Always look and listen.
PROPER CHILD SEAT SAFETY
If you are a parent and you’re looking for a child seat for your infant, make sure you are paying close attention to a few factors. First, ensure that you read your vehicle’s owner manual just so you know you’re choosing a car seat with the correct measurements. A chest strap is an important component of the car seat in providing some of the most protection.
Child seat latch straps can also be beneficial. For front-facing seats, make sure there is a latch that can go over the seat and to the back to hook. For rear-facing child seats, the lower anchors are the best option.
Before you buy a child seat, however, check to see if there have been any recalls that would determine if the child seat is dangerous. In many instances, these products are released on the market, only to be later recalled after a potential danger is found. This can include a choking hazard from a broken clip, the chest strap failing to lock, the buckle coming loose, or any other potential problem.
Remember to use this guide when choosing a car seat for your child.
One of the biggest issues at home is the potential for a fire. However, there are a number of potential safety issues that you may encounter. Here are some instances where home safety is imperative:
- Elderly or injured residents: When residents of a home are elderly or injured, there may be some limitations they encounter which can pose a potential threat. For instance, if a step is too high or if there is a slippery surface with no handrails, the individual may fall. Also, ensure that the home is lighted properly and there are no obstacles on the floor that may cause someone to trip.
- Cooking: One of the most common causes of house fires is cooking. After all, you’re using a number of combustible elements such as towels near the flames, or grease catching fire. To help prevent a fire, never leave cooking food unattended. Also, if you have a gas stove, make sure it is completely off when you’re done using it. If the stove is still emitting gas, any heat source can be dangerous.
- Decorations: Whether you’re decorating for the holidays or simply want to add something new to your home, please be aware of the potential dangers. Certain tools should be used carefully and with proper safety gear. If you need to hang something, make sure your ladder is secure and there’s no risk of slipping. If you are putting up a tree, keep it away from heat sources as this could be a fire hazard.
Whether you are ensuring your outlets are grounded or you are child-proofing your home, taking the right steps towards safety is important.
CALL AN EXPERIENCED LEGAL TEAM
At Hare Wynn, we know unfortunate circumstances arise. However, far too often, other individuals act negligently, leading to injuries sustained by innocent individuals. If you have been harmed, know that we’re here to help.
Our personal injury lawyers have a long history of securing compensation for injured individuals. We give you a voice so you can have peace of mind that your pursuit of justice is heard. Let us help you move past this difficult situation one step at a time.
Call our firm today at 855-965-1688 and let us explain your legal options.
Get My FREE Case Review