We’ve all been there. You’re driving down the highway with your family in the car. All of a sudden a tractor trailer comes up in the lane next to you. You get scared and automatically slow down so the truck can pass you. It’s instinct. Birmingham truck accident lawyers know the feeling all too well.
People do realize that trucks can be dangerous. They’re big and powerful. If one hits your car, you’d be lucky to survive the impact. It’s not that truck drivers are bad drivers. It’s that they drive such powerful machines that passenger vehicles don’t stand a chance against them.
Truck drivers do get a bad rap. People like to assume they aren’t careful or that they like to intimidate other vehicles. And, this could be true for some truck drivers. But in general, they’re just hard working people trying to get through their day.
Even the most conscientious truck drivers make mistakes. They may be carrying a load that’s too large. Or, they worked too many hours and are just overtired. Any of these things can lead to a deadly accident.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident, you need to call HWNN and speak to a Birmingham lawyer.
What are the Statistics for Truck Accidents in Alabama?
Your Birmingham truck accident lawyer knows how dangerous truck accidents are. They’re all too familiar with the statistics. Alabama has its share of truck accidents. They have decades of combined experience handling these types of claims.
There are almost 8,000 truck accidents in Alabama every year. Most of these involve passenger vehicles. And, there were over injuries sustained in truck accidents in 2014.
As alarming as these statistics may be, the scariest one is that almost 100 people die in Alabama every year in a truck crash.
Most of the fatalities in truck accidents are suffered by the driver of the passenger vehicle. There is just nothing that stands between a car and a giant tractor-trailer. The impact of such a large truck is just too great.
In most cases, your injuries will be covered by the driver’s insurance. However, if your claim is denied, you’re going to need help.
If you’ve suffered a truck accident injury, you need to contact the Birmingham truck accident lawyers at HWNN.
Your Truck Accident Lawyer in Alabama Can Deal With the Insurance Company
In most semi truck accidents, the insurance company will pay your claim without question. You submit your claim and get a check in the mail a few weeks later. But that isn’t always the case. There are times when the insurance company denies your claim. When this happens, you need a truck accident lawyer to help get your claim paid.
If you get hurt by a commercial truck driver, you’ll have to file a claim against his company’s insurance policy. This policy is meant to cover injuries and damage caused by truck accidents. Usually, there’s no issue. However, your claim could be denied.
There are several reasons why your claim may be denied. These reasons include:
- They claim you weren’t injured
- The insurance company believes you were at fault
- You have pre-existing conditions or old injuries
- You have a history of filing claims against commercial drivers
- You were drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident
- The commercial driver was not insured
- The policy wasn’t valid
For the most part, there’s nothing your attorney can do if the policy wasn’t valid. No company is going to cover a claim on an expired or invalid policy. They would go out of business if they did.
For any of the other reasons, however, your HWNN personal injury lawyer can appeal your claim. He’ll speak with the insurance adjuster and find out what the issue is. He’ll try to negotiate a settlement of your claim.
A lot of times, the insurance adjuster denies your claim because it’s large. They know that denying your claim will spark settlement negotiations. They figure this is a good way for them to resolve your claim for less than you originally demanded.
Your insurance claim is going to cover your property damage and injuries.
What Are Some of the Injuries Sustained in Truck Accidents?
If you get in a truck accident, you’re going to sustain some pretty serious injuries. There’s no way you’re going to escape a truck crash without bodily injury. Commercial vehicles can be deadly. When they crash into a passenger car, the results can be disastrous.
Some of the common injuries suffered in a truck crash include:
- Back injuries – It’s hard to imagine a truck accident that doesn’t cause back injuries. Your body is going to be thrown about your vehicle. You may even be ejected from the car. When a tractor-trailer collides with your car, you are going to sustain back injuries. These may be as simple as disc issues or as serious as a spinal cord injury.
- Head and Brain injuries – Truck accidents often cause head and brain injuries. You could break facial bones or suffer a concussion. You may suffer something as serious as a traumatic brain injury (TBI.) TBIs occur when you suffer a severe blow to the head. This happens when you whack your head on the steering wheel or windshield.
If you suffer a TBI, you’ll experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Memory loss
- Impaired vision
- Inability to speak
- Impaired hearing
- Internal Injuries – Internal injuries can be quite scary. The thing about them is that you can’t see them. You may not even feel them. Not all internal injuries are painful. Some don’t bother you at all right away. If left untreated, internal injuries can be life-threatening. You need to get checked out so you can make sure you aren’t suffering from internal injuries.
Birmingham truck accident attorneys handle a lot of internal injury cases. Some of the most common types of internal injuries include:
- Bleeding on the brain
- Punctured lungs
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
Your truck injury attorney will make sure he demands damages for all of these injuries. Experienced truck accident lawyers have handled dozens of cases just like yours. They know what your injuries are worth. They’ll work hard to negotiate a settlement with the driver’s attorney to get you paid.
Your Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyer Knows the Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Most of us would like to think that truck drivers are at fault for most or all truck accidents. And, it usually is the case. It has nothing to do with how careful the driver is. It’s just that truck drivers face a lot of issues that passenger vehicles do not.
Your truck injury lawyer needs to prove that the truck driver is at fault. Truck accident cases are based on negligence.
In order to prove negligence, you have to show four things:
- The truck driver owed you a duty of care
- He breached that duty
- You were injured
- Your injuries were caused by the driver’s breach
Proving these things comes down to looking at what caused the accident to begin with.
Some of the common causes of truck accidents include:
- Overloaded trucks – Because they’re trying to carry too much freight, truck drivers may overload their vehicles with too much product. When this happens, the truck is imbalances. This can cause the truck to jackknife.
- Driving while overtired – Because they work so many hours, many truck drivers are overtired. Although there are federal laws limiting the number of hours drivers work, some don’t abide by this rule. An overtired driver can fall asleep at the wheel and crash into an unsuspecting vehicle.
- Distracted driving – Just like car drivers, truck drivers get distracted. They could be texting and driving. Or, they could be trying to eat their lunch while driving. All it takes is 2-3 seconds to lose control of your vehicle.
- Improper truck maintenance – Trucks are supposed to be maintained every so many miles. Truck drivers must keep logs of their truck’s maintenance. If they don’t keep this up to date, their truck can malfunction.
- Speeding – Because they’re paid by the mile, a lot of truck drivers try to cover too much ground in one shift. They drive too fast and end up harming other drivers on the road.
- Drunk driving – Like all other drivers, some truck drivers are reckless and drink before getting behind the wheel. Commercial drivers are held to a higher standard when it comes to DUI. Penalties for DUI are higher for commercial truckers as well.
- Inexperienced drivers – When people first start driving trucks, they have a hard time getting the hang of it. Despite the hours of training and education, some truck drivers make mistakes when they’re new. This is what causes accidents.
Your Birmingham truck accident lawyer is familiar with all of these causes. They know what it takes to prove causation. And they’ll use this knowledge to get you the compensation you deserve.
How Will Your Birmingham Truck Accident Attorney Prove Fault?
In order for you to recover for your truck accident injuries, he’ll need to prove that the truck driver was at fault. There are many ways to do this.
The truck driver isn’t just going to admit he was at fault. He could lose his job or even suffer personal liability. So, our Birmingham truck accident lawyers will rely on the following tools to prove causation:
- The police report – This report will include statements by the drivers and witnesses. It may include information that proves the truck driver was responsible for the accident.
- Maintenance logs – Tractor trailers must be maintained every month. There are certain logs that drivers have to keep to prove this maintenance was done. If the logs show negligence, your attorney is going to want to include them as evidence.
- Pictures – There will be pictures of the accident scene in the police report. You may have even taken your own pictures. Experts can use these pictures to prove causation.
- Accident recreation specialists – These experts can use all the information available to show that the truck driver was at fault.
Proving that the truck driver was at fault won’t be easy. However, the attorneys at HWNN have years of experience handling cases like this. He has the skills to get you the compensation you deserve.
What Kind of Damages Will Your Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyer Demand?
If you get hurt in a truck accident, you’re going to need a Birmingham truck accident lawyer. You will be injured and need to focus on getting better. Let your attorney focus on getting you compensation for your injuries.
Some of the damages he’ll demand include:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills (past, present, and future)
- Diminished earning capacity
- Permanent disability
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
You may have to pursue multiple parties for your injuries. In a tractor-trailer accident case, there could be claims against any of the following:
- Truck driver
- The company he works for
- Insurance company
- The company who overloaded the truck with product
- The company who services the vehicle
- Manufacturer of the truck or its parts
- The mechanic who repairs the tractor-trailer
Your attorney will make sure he files claims at the outset. You may not be able to add parties later on.
Contact a Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been involved in a truck accident in Alabama, you need to contact our Birmingham, AL lawyers. We can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He can also answer any questions you may have.
Call HWNN and schedule your risk-free initial consultation today. It gives you a chance to meet with an experienced truck accident attorney at no cost. And, you pay nothing until you settle your case.