You could get into a car accident at any time. We don’t like to think about it, because, well, who would? We pass cars on the side of the road all the time waiting for tow trucks and the police. We thank our lucky stars that it isn’t us and go about our day. But when it happens, you are going to need a Birmingham car accident lawyer.
At some point in our lives, however, we could find ourselves the victims of a car accident. You could be on your way to work or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Someone hits you from behind. You don’t see it coming. The next thing you know, you’re exchanging insurance information and waiting for the police.
If you have suffered an injury in a car accident in Birmingham, or throughout Alabama, we are here to help you get compensation for your injuries. Call the best car accident lawyers in Birmingham, call Hare, Wynn, Newell, & Newton today at (855)965-1688. We offer a risk-free consultation with one of our expert attorneys and experienced representation if your case should go to trial. Contact us today and get the representation you need to get the compensation you deserve!
- 1 What Should I Do After a Birmingham Car Accident?
- 2 Why is the Police Report So Important to Birmingham Car Accident Lawyers?
- 3 Does My Lawyer Need the Police Report?
- 4 Why Would the Insurance Company Deny Your Claim?
- 5 What Kinds of Damages Can you Demand in Birmingham?
- 6 The Most Common Types of Car Accidents
- 7 What are the Most Common Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents?
- 8 Contact a Birmingham Car Accident Lawyer Today
What Should I Do After a Birmingham Car Accident?
There are a few things you need to do when you get into a motor vehicle accident:
- Call the police – You always need to do this. Even if the accident is minor, it’s important that the police come to review the scene. They will determine if any of the drivers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the car wreck. They’ll also prepare a police report that your Birmingham car accident attorney will need later on.
- Seek medical treatment immediately – You have to go to the hospital and get checked out. They’ll run the necessary tests to see if you have brain injuries or internal injuries. They can also provide medical documentation to prove that you were injured.
- Call your car accident lawyer – Your Birmingham injury attorney will contact the insurance companies to make sure your claim is filed. They can also start gathering the evidence to prove your case so you can recover damages.
Why is the Police Report So Important to Birmingham Car Accident Lawyers?
When people get in minor fender benders, they’re tempted to just exchange insurance information and go their separate ways. They figure nobody got hurt so why call the police?
No matter how minor the accident, you always need to call the police. You have no idea if the other driver gave you valid information. He could have given you expired insurance information. The next thing you know, your claim is denied and you have no way to reach the driver.
There are all sorts of reasons the other driver may ask you not to call the police:
- They’re driving a stolen car
- They don’t have a valid license or registration
- Their insurance policy expired
- They have active warrants
- They’re in the middle of the commission of a crime
- They are under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- They were not obeying the traffic laws at the time of the accident
No matter how bad you feel for the other driver, you have to call the police. It’s important that the officer be able to ascertain these things. Once the driver leaves, there’s no way to prove any of these things.
Does My Lawyer Need the Police Report?
The other reason you need to call the police is they will review the scene and prepare an accident report. This accident report contains information that your lawyer may not be able to get his hands on later on. Some of this information includes:
- Name, license, and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions, and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
Even if your Birmingham car accident attorney can get his hands on this information, it will be time consuming and expensive. If you get into a car accident in Birmingham, Alabama, you need to make sure you call the police – there are no exceptions. You may need that police report if your insurance claim is denied.
Why Would the Insurance Company Deny Your Claim?
Your insurance claim may be denied. There are all sorts of reasons for this, including:
- The policy was canceled or lapsed
- The driver was not insured under the policy
- They believe the accident was your fault
- They don’t believe you were really hurt
- They don’t think the accident is what caused your injuries
- The statute of limitations has passed – you only have two years to file a claim according to Alabama law.
Your Birmingham car accident lawyer can help you file your claim. He’ll call and speak to the insurance adjuster and see if he can get your claim paid. He’ll work hard to negotiate a settlement so you don’t have to go to court.
If your claim isn’t paid, your attorney will have no choice but to file a lawsuit on your behalf.
What Kinds of Damages Can you Demand in Birmingham?
If you get into a car accident in Birmingham, Alabama, you’ll be entitled to demand certain damages. Almost all accidents involve some sort of injury. Most also involve property damage.
Your attorney is going to demand that you be compensated for the following:
You’re entitled to recover both current and future medical bills. You may require surgery and physical therapy. You may need long-term treatment. If this is the case, your lawyer will demand that you’re reimbursed for this.
Chances are, if you get hurt, you’ll miss time from work. You can submit timesheets to show how much time you’ve missed.
If your car needs to be repaired or replaced, the defendant needs to pay for this.
Pain and Suffering
These are a type of non-economic damages. You can’t prove pain and suffering with receipts. Your Alabama auto accident lawyer will have to prove that you experienced pain and suffering in order for you to recover.
In order to collect damages, you have to suffer an actual injury. Just because you get into an accident doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to compensation. It’s your lawyer’s job to make you whole.
Our lawyers will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve. We have obtained large settlements for many other clients and would love to do the same for you.
The Most Common Types of Car Accidents
Some car accidents are serious while others are quite minor. Birmingham car accident lawyers handle all types of car accidents.
Some of the more common types of cases they see include:
Rear End Accidents
Rear end car crashes are the most common type of accident. Usually, they happen when you’re stopped at a red light or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. But sometimes they occur simply because a driver isn’t paying attention to the road. Most rear-end car accident cases involve only minor injuries. The property damage is usually quite minimal as well.
These accidents are some of the most dangerous. The negligent party is almost always driving recklessly. They somehow merge into oncoming traffic and crash into your car. The injuries sustained in head-on collisions are very serious. The impact can be so severe that you’re lucky to make it out alive.
Texting and driving may be the most common form of distracted driving. If you take your eyes off the road for just two or three seconds, you may crash into another driver. Proving the other driver was distracted is hard. You’ll have to rely on an experienced Birmingham car accident lawyer to help you do this.
There is no excuse for drunk driving. With companies like Lyft and Uber, nobody should get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol or doing drugs. But they do it every day. Because they’re drunk, they’re more reckless and drive with no regard for other cars on the road. Drunk driving car accident victims usually suffer pretty serious injuries.
Regardless of the law, people still drive over the speed limit. The faster a car is going when they crash, the worse the impact will be. When two cars collide, both at fast speeds, the results are disastrous.
If you’ve suffered injuries in any of these types of accidents, you need to call and schedule a free consultation with the Birmingham personal injury lawyers at HWNN.
What are the Most Common Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents?
Birmingham car accident lawyers see all kinds of injuries. Most accidents involve some sort of injury, even the minor ones. It’s your lawyer’s job to get you compensation for these injuries.
Some of the more common injuries sustained in car accidents include:
No matter what kind of accident you’re in, you could end up with a back injury. Some back injuries involve disc herniations and strains. You may require surgery. You may have to deal with months of physical therapy. Most people with serious back injuries are out of work for months. Your Birmingham car accident attorney will demand compensation for this time.
If you get into a head-on collision or distracted driving accident, you may suffer neck injuries. These are very dangerous. You could suffer a broken neck. Or, you may end up with nerve damages. Both of these are very painful and can lead to lifelong issues.
The reason your lawyer always says to get medical treatment immediately after your car accident is that you could have suffered internal injuries. These include internal bleeding, organ damage or punctured lungs. All of these can prove fatal if they’re not treated properly. The hospital can run tests to see if you have any sort of internal injury.
Traumatic Brain Injury
If you suffer a severe blow to the head, you may have suffered a traumatic brain injury. The signs and symptoms of a traumatic brain injury include:
- Vision loss
- Ringing in your ears
- Memory loss
- Hearing issues
- Exhaustion and fatigue
If you experienced any of these after your accident, make sure you get to the hospital right away.
Contact a Birmingham Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you’re injured in a car accident in Alabama, you need to call the Birmingham car accident lawyers at HWNN right away. You only have a certain amount of time to file your claim. If you miss this deadline, your case will be barred forever.
Your attorney can deal with the insurance company on your behalf. They’ll try to get your claim settled for you. If they can’t, they will file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Call HWNN and schedule your free initial consultation today. You can ask your attorney any questions you may have.
The consultation is free and you pay nothing until your claim is settled. The other driver and the insurance company are going to have attorneys working for them; you need to have one too. Contact us today and get the best representation to obtain compensation for your car accident claim.
Get My FREE Case Review